I went around the long way but I got VMWare server 1.04 installed. Here is what I did, hopefully it will help others. (I also realize the majority of this has been covered many times. I am just including everything because it is easier then figuring out where to start.)
First the obvious, install the supporting packages
next download vmware server and expand it out somewhere
tar -xvzf VMware-server-1.0.4-56528.tar.gz
then do the install
next, next, yada yada. Eventually it will start compiling and fail.
grab the any to any patch 115 from
tar -xvzf vmware-any-any-update115.tar.gz
EDIT (22 Mar 2008 ): The section in red below does not appear to be necessary any longer. I have left it in place for reference though.
The next step is courtesy of the VMWare forums.
(NOTE: you could use the patches in the thread. In my case I already had the any-any patch so it was easier. Either way you still need to change the line as below)
We need to change the problematic include from asm/bitops.h to linux/bitops.h in vcpuset.h
sudo tar xf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
sudo sed -i 's#asm/bitops.h#linux/bitops.h#' vmmon-only/include/vcpuset.h
sudo mv vmmon.tar vmmon.tar.old
sudo tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
Finally you can configure vmware server
answer all the questions and it should compile fine.
once installed I received an error trying to launch vmware so I cheated and copied the libraries over, which seems to have resolved that issue.
(I found this tip online as well but now I can not find the link.)
For 64 bit users there is one additional step in order to allow vmware console to launch:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32 /usr/l32
sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/libgtk2.0-0.loaders
sudo sed -i -e 's/usr\/lib/usr\/l32/g' /usr/lib32/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.8the solution came from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...bs/+bug/177869 however I had to change libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.3 to libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200.8.
EDIT: changed the last command from cp to ln -sf because it really makes more sense.
EDIT2: added a wget to pull down the any to any patch. Changed the editing of vcpuset.h to use sed rather than editing by hand. Thank you to mk1970 for these two changes.
EDIT3: noted that the update to vmmon does not seem to be needed any longer. Added a fix fir 64 bit installs.